The Pornstar Martini, also known as the Passion Fruit Martini, is smooth, sweet, fruity and fun. It's also infamous due to the rather controversial name (and we are DEFINITELY going to talk more about that later, stay tuned). It combines passion fruit liqueur, vanilla vodka, lime and is served with a shot of prosecco on the side (I'm sorry, but how fun is that?) Best part? They're super easy to make, and you can batch make them ahead of time!
This cocktail was invented in England in the early 2000's, and it's become a modern classic. It's easy to see why: it's completely delicious and easy to make. Plus, it just looks so dang impressive, it's bound to wow a crowd.
Passion Fruit Martinis, also known as Pornstar Martinis, are fruity, sweet, and sophisticated. Once you try it, you'll be making it for all your friends (and they will love you for it).
Check out the web story here.
Why You're going to Love this Drink
- First and foremost, the FLAVOR! It's so so so delicious. Fruity and sweet, and I absolutely love the hint of vanilla that comes along with it.
- It's paired with a shot of sparkling wine. It's a yes from me.
- It's easy and quick to make. You can also make it ahead of time.
What is a Pornstar Martini?
The Pornstar Martini (aka passion fruit martini aka passion star martini aka Maverick martini) is a fruity, refreshing, and ridiculously popular cocktail that originated in England. It combines passion fruit liqueur, vanilla vodka, lime juice and is served with a shot of prosecco on the side as a palate cleanser.
It's reportedly the most popular cocktail in England.
How to Drink a Pornstar Martini
So - the way you are apparently supposed to do it is:
- Take a bite out of the fresh passion fruit pulp that garnished your drink.
- Sip your cocktail.
- Finish with the prosecco to cleanse your palate. Can we start serving all cocktails with a prosecco shot for palate cleansing? Asking for a friend.
A common question is whether or not you're actually supposed to add the prosecco to the cocktail itself. While that's not the technical correct way (although the internet is alive with debate on this one), lots of people do it, and love it. So if you like it, then all the power to you. Some people also claim that you drink the prosecco before the cocktail, while others say you're supposed to have go back and forth between the two. Like I said, do what you want.
What's in a Name?
Ok, let's dive into this. I personally think the name is amazing and perfect for this drink - but it's definitely got some history.
According to Conde Nast Traveller, the pornstar martini was invented in London by Douglas Ankrah. He was developing a menu for the Townhouse Bar back in 2002, and apparently he created this cocktail after being inspired by a different drink he had in Cape Town, South Africa.
He wanted something bold, sexy, and playful - and IMO, he nailed it. And, finally, he called it a pornstar martini because he felt like it was something a pornstar would drink.
The name though, as you might imagine, has been controversial. Although Ankrah denies he named it the porn star to be deliberately spicy, it still has stirred up some conversation. In 2019, Marks & Spencer (a British retail store) renamed their pre-packaged pornstar martini as the "Passion Fruit Martini".
It goes by many names as a result: Passion Fruit Martini, Passion Star Martini, Maverick Martini, etc, etc.
Again, I'm personally all for the original name - but certain search engines are...less so. Hence why I used the title that I did.
A pornstar martini uses passion fruit liqueur, also known as Passoa. Passoa is made in France, and passion fruit is the main ingredient. It's been around since 1985. By far it's most famous use is in the pornstar martini.
There are other brands of passion fruit liqueur, but Passoa seems to be the most popular.
- Vanilla vodka: you can use whatever kind is your favorite, there's no reason to be picky here.
- Passion fruit liqueur: again, use whatever kind you want, but in my experience, Passoa has been the easiest to find.
- Vanilla Simple Syrup: it's delicious - but if you can't be bothered, just use normal simple syrup and see below.
- Vanilla extract (if you're not using vanilla simple syrup): since we took away the vanilla vodka here we're just going to add it back in the easiest way possible - with vanilla extract. If you want to be a purist about it, then I would try and track down some vanilla syrup and do that instead (although again, we're trying to go for easy here).
- Passion fruit juice: gotta have it for that flavor. We're going to stick with just the juice (the original recipe also contains passion fruit pulp, but I couldn't find it). It still gives plenty of flavor, don't worry!
- Fresh lime juice: a key ingredient. You definitely, definitely should make it fresh juice. Get yourself a citrus juicer, they're inexpensive and super easy to use.
- Sparkling wine: traditionally it's prosecco, and it's served in a shot glass alongside this pornstar martini with gin. You can definitely use whatever you want though.
How to Make a Pornstar Martini
It's honestly so easy, basically a shake and pour cocktail. So get out your Boston shaker and let's go!
Add your passion fruit juice, vanilla syrup, and lime juice to a shaker half filled with ice. (In bartending, you try to add your cheaper ingredients first, so if you screw it up and have to start over, you're out less money).
Add the passion fruit liqueur and vanilla vodka.
Shake vigorously for 45-60 seconds (or as long as you can stand. My hands get so cold it hurts so I make my husband do it).
Pour into a martini or a Nick & Nora glass.
Garish with a half a passion fruit.
Pour your shot of sparkling wine, and serve!
Batching & Making Ahead
You can definitely make these in a pitcher and give them a stir just before serving! (Don't forget the sparkling wine!
- ¾ C vanilla simple syrup
- 1.5 C passion fruit juice
- ¼ C fresh lime juice
- 1.5 C vanilla vodka
- ¾ C passion fruit liqueur
- 8 oz sparkling wine (individually served).
- 4 passion fruits (cut in half, for garnish)
Combine the everything except the sparkling wine and passion fruit in a pitcher. Stir together and keep in the fridge until read to serve. Stir again, and then pour into martini glasses. Top with half a passion fruit, and serve alongside an oz of sparkling wine.
Tips & Tricks
- If you love fresh passion fruit flavor, scrape the pulp out of one and add it to your shaker. Just make sure you're double straining it!
- If you don't have vanilla vodka, just add a half teaspoon of vanilla extract to the shaker.
- No vanilla syrup? Totally fine, just use regular simple syrup.
- Feel free to play with the ratios in this drink. If you're feeling it's too sweet - cut back on the passion fruit juice, and up the lime juice. To tart? Do the opposite. And you can always add more or less simple syrup and vanilla flavoring as well!
Other Fantastic Cocktails
- Boston Shaker or mason jar
- ¼ oz lime juice
- 1½ oz passion fruit juice
- ¾ oz vanilla simple syrup
- 1½ oz vanilla vodka
- ¾ oz passion fruit liqueur
- fresh passion fruit for garnish
- 1 oz sparkling wine such as prosecco
- Combine the lime juice, passion fruit juice, simple syrup, vodka, and passion fruit liqueur into a cocktail shaker half filled with ice. Shake vigorously for 30-45 seconds.
- Place half a passion fruit in the glass (it should float on top).
- Pour the shot of sparklin wine, and serve alongside the martini.
Hi, I'm Cara! I'm a food writer, journalist, and recipe developer. I'm obsessed good food, good wine, good cocktails and entertaining. I've picked up a few tips over the years, and love sharing them with others.