As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
So, I love meatloaf, but a leftover meatloaf sandwich? Might be the best thing ever. Meatloaf, in my opinion, is one of those leftovers that doesn't get worse the next day (it totally gets better). We're going to make an epic meatloaf sandwich x grilled cheese situation (so it's going to be hot, not cold) that will leave you crying for more.
The other great part about this sandwich is that you can customize it any which way you please. I've got tons of ideas for you for toppings, condiments, or even which type of bread to use. So by all means, pick your favorites and make it the best meatloaf sandwich ever!
This leftover meatloaf sandwich is filling, satisfying, savory and just plain delicious. Toasting it and making it warm with melty cheese takes it up a level.
I mean, for the main ingredients it's pretty easy. You need leftover meatloaf, bread, toppings and condiments. Oh and cheese! Keep scrolling for an epic list of ideas for each of those sections.
Oh the possibilities....
- red onion
- mashed potatoes
- fried egg
- fried mushrooms or onions
- caramelized onions
- bacon jam
- tomato jam
- applesauce/apple butter
I like to stick with something more mild here, but as always, you do you!
- American cheese
- blue cheese (I feel like this with caramelized onions and bacon jam could be *chef's kiss*)
Again, totally personal preference. I'm grilling/toasting this sandwich, so I want something relatively thin that's going to hold up to the meat and toppings (i.e. rye or sourdough).
- Texas toast
- garlic bread (omg, I cannot. How good would this be?!)
- hamburger bun
How to Make a Grilled Meatloaf Sandwich
Ok this is the fun part. Follow along and you'll be eating the most delicious lunch you've had in a very long time (video follows).
First, heat up pan (I love my cast iron skillet for this) over medium heat. Butter two slices of bread and place them butter side down to one side of the pan.
Next, cut a thick slice of meatloaf, and put that in the pan as well.
After 2-4 minutes, flip the meatloaf over, and get the toast out of the pan. Place a slice of cheese on the meatloaf, cover, and let it get all melty for another couple of minutes.
In the meantime, get all your toppings and condiments ready to go. Spread on the mayo, horseradish, whatever and slice your tomatoes and pickles (and anything else you're using).
Once the cheese is melty, place it on the toast, top it all off and slice in half.
Awesome Sandwich Sides
You can never go wrong with fries, amirite?
Leftover Meatloaf Sandwich
- 1 slice meatloaf
- 2 slices rye bread (or whatever type you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 1 slice American cheese
- Heat your pan over medium-low to medium heat. Add your slice of meatloaf to the pan. Cook for 2-4 minutes, then flip.
- Butter your bread, and place butter side down in the pan with the meatloaf. Fry for 2-4 minutes until toasted. Remove bread from the pan.
- Add your slice of cheese to the top of the slice of meatloaf. Cover, and let the cheese melt (about 1-2 minutes).
- In the meantime, prep your toast with the condiments and toppings you prefer. In this case, slicing tomato, adding the lettuce, and spreading the mayo and mustard on the toast.
- Place the slice of meatloaf on the sandwich, and top with the other slice of toast. Cut in half, and enjoy!
Leave a Reply