If you're a gin lover, than this Pornstar Martini with gin is the drink for you. We keep all the same essential flavors from the Pornstar, but swap the vanilla vodka for your favorite gin!
This cocktail is super easy, and while the original contains vodka, this one swaps it out for gin (which, makes total sense given the flavor combo).
The Pornstar Martini with gin is a modern classic. It's sweet, sour and fruity palate is finished off with a shot of sparkling wine.
Check out the web story here.
Why You're Going to Love this Drink
- The Pornstar martini with gin is a great balance of flavor, from sweet to tart to refreshing to fruity.
- It comes with a side shot of sparkling wine, yes please.
- It's main flavor comes from passion fruit, which is amazingly tropical and citrus. But - there's also vanilla in it as well which adds an elegant sweetness.
- It actually contains passion fruit liqueur, called Passoa (more on that below)
- SO EASY. I love it when a cocktail looks fancy and complicated, but it actually comes together in like five minutes. The only thing you need to make is a basic simple syrup!
- It's great for entertaining. You can absolutely batch this cocktail (again, see below), mix it up before hand, and pour away when your guests arrive.
First things First, why is it Called a Pornstar Martini?
This is also the first thing I wanted to know - with a name like that, where did it come from?
According to Conde Nast Traveller, the pornstar martini was invented in London by Douglas Ankrah. He was developing a menu for the Townhouse Bar back in 2002, and apparently he created this cocktail after being inspired by a different drink he had in Cape Town, South Africa.
He wanted something bold, sexy, and playful - and IMO, he nailed it. And, finally, he called it a Pornstar Martini because he felt like it was something a porn star would drink.
In the original recipe, vanilla vodka is used. In this version, we're swapping the vodka for gin.
The name though, as you might imagine, has been controversial. Although Ankrah denies he named it the porn star to be deliberately spicy, it still has stirred up some conversation. In 2019, Marks & Spencer (a British retail store) renamed their pre-packaged Pornstar Martini as the "Passion Fruit Martini".
What is Passoa?
A Pornstar Martini with gin uses passion fruit liqueur, also known as Passoa. Passoa is made in France, and passion fruit is the main ingredient. It's been around since 1985. By far it's most famous use is in the Pornstar Martini.
There are other brands of passion fruit liqueur, but Passoa seems to be the most popular.
So, I'm assuming there's a few things on this list you might have to grocery shop for. I for one, despite having a VERY well-stocked bar, did not have passion fruit liqueur just laying around. If I did, I would have added it to my passion fruit margaritas, although they're delicious without it. Here's what you need:
- Gin: you can use whatever kind is your favorite, there's no reason to be picky here.
- Passion fruit liqueur: again, use whatever kind you want, but in my experience, Passoa has been the easiest to find.
- Vanilla simply syrup: since we're taking away the vanilla vodka, it's super important to get that flavor in somewhere. It's super simple to make your own, but you can also buy vanilla syrup online.
- Passion fruit juice: gotta have it for that flavor. We're going to stick with just the juice (the original recipe also contains passion fruit pulp, but I couldn't find it). It still gives plenty of flavor, don't worry!
- Fresh lime juice: a key ingredient. You definitely, definitely should make it fresh juice. Get yourself a citrus juicer, they're inexpensive and super easy to use.
- Sparkling wine: traditionally it's prosecco, and it's served in a shot glass alongside this Pornstar Martini with gin. You can definitely use whatever you want though.
How to Make a Pornstar Martini with Gin
It's honestly so easy, basically a shake and pour cocktail. So get out your Boston shaker and let's go!
Add your passion fruit juice, simple syrup, and lime juice to a shaker half filled with ice. (In bartending, you try to add your cheaper ingredients first, so if you screw it up and have to start over, you're out less money).
Add the passion fruit liqueur and gin.
Shake vigorously for 45-60 seconds (or as long as you can stand. My hands get so cold it hurts so I make my husband do it).
Pour into a martini or a Nick & Nora glass.
Garish with a half a passion fruit.
Pour your shot of sparkling wine, and serve!
Make it Ahead & Batch Them
You can definitely make these in a pitcher and give them a stir just before serving! (Don't forget the sparkling wine!
- ¾ C simple syrup
- 1.5 C passion fruit juice
- ¼ C fresh lime juice
- 1.5 C gin
- ¾ C passion fruit liqueur
- 8 oz sparkling wine (individually served).
- 4 passion fruits (cut in half, for garnish)
Combine the everything except the sparkling wine and passion fruit in a pitcher. Stir together and keep in the fridge until read to serve. Stir again, and then pour into martini glasses. Top with half a passion fruit, and serve alongside an oz of sparkling wine.
Frequently Asked Questions
A pornstar martini is a cocktail made with passion fruit, passion fruit liqueur, and vanilla vodka. A pornstar martini with gin swaps out the vodka for gin instead.
Passoa is a brand of passion fruit liqueur made in France.
About five minutes, it's super easy!
Other Killer Cocktails to Try
Pornstar Martini with Gin
- Boston Shaker or Cocktail Shaker
- ¾ oz simple syrup
- 1½ oz passion fruit juice
- ¼ oz fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ oz gin
- ¾ oz passion fruit liqueur
- 1 oz sparkling wine such as prosecco
- ½ passion fruit for garnish
- Combine all the ingredients except the sparkling wine and the passion fruit into your cocktail shaker half-filled with ice. Shake for 45-60 seconds. Pour into a martini glass. Garnish with passion fruit half. Pour sparkling wine into a shot glass and serve it alongside.