Hot honey has got to be one of my favorite condiments of all time. The perfect combination of spicy and sweet? Together? On everything? Yes please I'll take 47 jars.
You can absolutely buy it - but it's super easy to make at home. Plus, that way you can control your own spice levels. It literally takes 10 minutes, 2-3 ingredients, and you're good to go.
Hot honey is a fantastic condiment. The spicy and sweet combination makes it versatile to put on almost anything.
Check out the web story here.
What is Hot Honey?
It's just a combination of honey and dried chili peppers. The honey gets an infusion of spice from peppers, and transforms it into the ultimate condiment for pretty much anything.
Why is it So Popular?
According to QSR, hot honey grew 187% between 2016 and 2020. The explosion of the sweet/spicy flavor combo can partly explain it. Think spicy chicken sandwiches, or a maple chipotle flavor combo.
Where Can I buy It?
You can get it pretty much anywhere now, but Amazon sells Mike's Hot Honey, definitely one of the most popular brands on the market!
What do I eat Hot Honey With?
Honestly, pretty much anything you can think of, but here's a few ideas:
- Pizza: this is probably the most popular use of hot honey. It's so delicious with almost any type of pizza.
- Cheese: Just try it on a charcuterie board. Life. Changing.
- Chicken wings: I feel like you could coat the wings in this sauce and it would be perfect.
- Stir-fry sauce: stir-fry's often call for both sweetness and spice in their sauces, so voila!
- Salmon and baked fish: use this as a glaze while it's baking - so amazing for almost any variety of fish!
- Roast Chicken: Again, see above.
- French Fries: As a kid, I loved dipping my fries in honey. This is the adult version of that.
- Butter: mix it in your butter and spread over bread, or cornbread, or muffins.
- Salad dressing: throw it as a sweetener in your next salad dressing and watch it come to life!
- Roasted carrots, parsnips or squash: The honey would perfectly highlight the caramelization on the veggies!
- Fried Chicken Sandwich - your mind will be blown, it's so good. Brings a little "Nashville Chicken Sandwich energy" to your life. We all need that.
The ingredient list is short, and perfect.
- Red pepper flakes
- Apple cider vinegar (optional, but delicious)
How to make Hot Honey
This recipe is super easy, but there are a few things to watch for as you're making it.
First, we're going to add the honey and the red pepper flakes to a small pan. Next, turn the heat on to medium-low, and let the honey heat gently. When it just starts to bubble, turn it off the heat. We don't want to let it boil, because it will boil over quickly!
Next, add your vinegar.
Let the whole thing steep for five minutes and cool off a bit. Then, pour it into a airtight glass jar.
You can strain the pepper flakes if you want to - the honey will get spicier over time if you don't.
Keep it in the pantry, not the fridge (the honey will crystalize in the fridge).
The honey will keep for a very long time, as honey does.
More Awesome Recipes
- 1 C honey
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar optional
- Gently heat the honey and red pepper flakes in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. DO NOT let the honey boil, this will ruin the texture. We just need it hot enough to let the pepper flakes infuse.
- Remove from the heat, and add the vinegar, if desired. Steep for 5 minutes, and then pour it into an airtight glass jar.
- Store in the pantry - not the fridge. The hot honey will last basically as long has honey does.