Lobster avocado salad brings out the best in all things fresh and summery. I love any type of lobster, but served during the summer, and alongside a pot of butter for dipping, it can be quite heavy if you're not in the mood for it. This salad solves those problems. Luscious chunks of lobster pair beautifully with avocado - the shaved fennel brings a delicate flavor and crunch, and the citrus vinaigrette brings it all together for a perfect meal, al fresco.
I've worked with lobster a ton, and while I do think it's at it's best when you mess with it as little as possible, this salad still allows our main ingredient to shine with everything else playing back up. Nothing is super bold or overpowering, it all just works together for a balanced, filling, and delicious lunch.
Where to Find Lobster
Lobster is pretty easy to get your hands on these days. The best type of lobster to use in this salad is the fresh stuff that you make and prepare yourself (I have a whole lobster guide on how to dispatch, cook, and breakdown lobster if you're going this route!). It can also be very handy to have some lobster tools on hand, otherwise, you can get by with scissors and a rolling pin.
However, if you don't have the time or inclination, another great option is to use frozen lobster tails. Just make sure they're fully thawed out before you start the cooking process.
Either way, you can find live lobster or frozen lobster meat at most grocery stores. Costco is also a great place for frozen lobster, IMO.
All of these ingredients were picked to enhance the flavor of the lobster (which, by the way, goes amazingly well with fennel and tarragon). The citrus vinaigrette is bright and has just a touch of sweetness from the honey, but it all blends together beautifully!
- Lobster meat (again, freshly prepared is going to taste the best, but frozen will work just fine too)
- Bibb lettuce - super sweet and mild, this is one of my favourite types of lettuce.
- Shaved Fennel - this adds great flavor, but also amazing crunchy texture to the dish!
- Orange juice and zest - brining the refreshing zip
- Honey - for a hint of sweetness in our vinaigrette
- Champagne Vinegar - just use white wine vinegar if you can't track down the Champagne variety. It can be tough to find.
- Olive oil - for the vinaigrette
- Avocado - adds a creamy, rich texture
- Tarragon - this is mostly for garnish, but if you've never had tarragon and lobster together, you are missing out on one of the great flavor combinations in life.
How to Make Lobster Avocado Salad
Honestly, this could not be easier. Wait - I take that back. After you get your lobster prepared, it could not be easier (lol, sorry, lobster is just one of those things that adds...some complexity to your preparations. Worth it though. Again - lobster guide to the rescue).
First, let's get the citrus vinaigrette ready to go. All you need to do is combine the orange juice, orange zest, honey, olive oil and a hint of vinegar into a bowl and whisk. Add your vinegar carefully though - depending on how sweet/tart your oranges are, you may not need much. Season with salt an pepper, and that's it, you're totally ready to go.
To assemble the salad - lay the Bibb lettuce leaves on a large platter, so the cover most of it. Thinly shave your fennel, and spread evenly over the lettuce. thinly slice your avocado, and add it to the platter. Place large chunks of lobster meat in the middle, and sprinkle with tarragon leaves. Finally, drizzle generously with your vinaigrette. If you want to garnish with some more slices of orange, or even grapefruit (it would be delicious in this), by all means, go ahead!
Lobster Avocado Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
- Mandolin optional
- 1 orange juice and zest
- 1-2 teaspoon Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 C lobster meat
- 1 head Bibb lettuce
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 1 C fennel thinly sliced, preferably shaved with a mandolin
- 3 tablespoon tarragon fresh
- Prepare your vinaigrette by mixing the orange juice and zest, the vinegar, honey, oil, and salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk thoroughly and set aside while your prepare the salad.
- Spread the lettuce on a large serving platter. Arrange the shaved fennel, avocado, and lobster on top of the lettuce. Sprinkle with tarragon leaves, and drizzle with vinaigrette. Serve immediately.